In this devotion the faithful say daily one Our Father and seven Hail Marys for each of her sorrows which are listed below:
- The Prophecy of Simeon. (Luke 2:34-35) or the Circumcision of Christ
- The Flight into Egypt. (Matthew 2:13)
- The loss of the child Jesus in the Temple. (Luke 2:43-45)
- Mary meets Jesus on the way to Calvary.
- Jesus dies on the cross. (John 19:25)
- The piercing of the side of Jesus, and Mary's receiving the body of Jesus in her arms. (Matthew 27:57-59)
- The body of Jesus is placed in the tomb. (John 19:40-42)