Sunday 13 December 2009

all because of Christmas day


Earlier this year I had the joy of seeing my fourth child being borne. It was an amazing thing for me. This thing that was kicking my face as I placed my cheek on my wife’s tummy days before, was wiped and given to my wife to cradle in her arms.

It was definitely a step up from when I brought home my first child. I wouldn’t touch the thing. “Suppose I held it wrong and its head fell off!” I exclaimed. The gathered women laughed and “steupsed” while the older men smiled quietly and knowingly.

By the time my third child was borne, I was an old pro at the game. Nurturing almost always seems to come naturally for women. Men have to learn it, and sometimes it isn’t so easy.

So I wonder how it was for Mary and Joseph. Tradition tells us that Mary was fourteen years old, and that Joseph was in his later years. What was it like 2000 years ago? Did Joseph look upon this child with amazement? Did he help with the baby, knowing that he is the Christ Child, or did he leave that to Mary, and concerned himself with other activities?

God would not have trusted his incarnation with any ole human. He chose those he molded for the purpose. He has molded us too. We have a purpose and it relates to the Christ child too. As we celebrate the birth of the Christ child on Friday, we should celebrate Jesus being reborn in us. Through Jesus we are saved. The promise is fulfilled. The World rejoices.

And all because of Christmas day.

No comments:

Post a Comment