community and people who have had abortion. Here are a few of them
- "I was finally able to remove the head and look squarely into the face of a human being…a human I had just killed." – abortionist Paul Jarrett, MD
- "The fetus passes through the catheter and either dies in transit as it’s passing through the catheter or dies in the suction bottle after it’s actually all the way out." (Sworn testimony given in US District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin (Madison, WI, May 27, 1999, Case No. 98-C-0305-S), by Dr. Martin Haskell, an abortionist. He describes legal activity.)
- "I have taken the lives of innocent babies and I have ripped them from their mother’s wombs with a powerful suction machine." – abortionist McArthur Hill, MD.
- "The Supreme Court's decisions…allowed abortion on demand throughout the entire nine months of pregnancy"(Paul B. Linton, Enforcement of State Abortion Statutes after Roe: A State-by-State Analysis, University of Detroit Law Review, Vol. 67, Issue 2, Winter 1990).
- "A long curved Mayo scissors may be necessary to decapitate and dismember the fetus..." (From the medical textbook Abortion Practice - Dr. Warren Hern, p.154, describing legal activity).
As horrifying as the above is Father Pavone has some statistics that are equally horrific:
HOW MANY ABORTIONS OCCUR? - According to the Alan Guttmacher Institute, in 2005, 1.21 million abortions took place in the United States. Some 42,350 of these occurred on women who were 16 to 20 weeks pregnant; over 13,310 occurred on women who were 21 weeks or more into their pregnancy. In 2004 there were 96,890 abortions on women who had had three or more previous abortions. From 1973 through 2005, more than 45 million legal abortions occurred in our country. No other single cause accounts for more deaths.
WHY DO PEOPLE GET ABORTIONS? - Abortions are done mostly for non-medical reasons. As the abortion industry itself admits on the website of the Alan Guttmacher Institute, "[T]hree-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.”
Father Pavone gives us some options that we can follow regarding abortion:
Join our Prayer Campaign -
Prayer is the foundation of everything we do in the pro-life movement. You can strengthen the movement, save lives, and change hearts and minds by praying explicitly each day for an end to abortion, for the babies and their parents, for doctors and public officials, and for all who are working in this great cause. At www.PrayerCampaign.org you can follow our prayer campaign throughout the year. You will find
• A daily prayer to end abortion
• Seasonal pro-life prayers (Advent, Lent, Easter, etc.)
• Novenas to prepare for special days (like January 22,
the commemoration of Roe vs. Wade)
• A Facebook cause to unite with others praying to end abortion
We invite you to join this effort and to promote it in your family, parish, school, pro-life group, website, and more!
Partner with the Silent No More Awareness Campaign
At www.SilentNoMoreAwareness.org, you can partner with the world’s largest movement of women and men who have lost children to abortion. By doing so, you can spread the word that healing and forgiveness are available to those who have had abortions. An individual, organization, or church can “partner” with the campaign and thereby
• Promote the opportunities for healing
• Use the testimonies (text, audio, and video) of those who have had abortions, to awaken others to the devastation it brings and to the healing Christ brings
• Invite men and women who are willing to share their abortion testimony to do so at gatherings, in churches, on radio and TV, or in private meetings with legislators and others.
• Invite those who have lost children to abortion to go to IRegretMyAbortion.com and indicate, anonymously if they prefer, that they regret their abortions. This creates a large chorus of voices showing the damage abortion does.
Study and Live the Pro-life Spirituality
Defending the unborn is not simply a “hobby” or a political ideology. It is a spirituality, an aspect of one’s discipleship of Christ. You can study and commit to live the spirituality of being pro-life, and the particular virtues that go with it, by visiting www.MissionariesoftheGospelofLife.org. By doing this you will be given specific reading material that will deepen your understanding of the pro-life movement, such as Fr. Frank Pavone’s book Ending Abortion, Not Just Fighting It, and his daily devotional, Pro-life Reflections for Every Day.
You will also be able to connect with and be encouraged by like-minded people around the world who are also committed to this spirituality. You will meet them through our conference calls, online networking, and “Life cell” meetings in local communities. Visit www.MissionariesoftheGospelofLife.org. Ask for our introductory manual online or by calling 888-735-3448.
Priests for Life assists the African-American and Hispanic communities to realize that the pro-life movement belongs as much to them as to anyone else. Resources designed specifically for these communities are available, as are speakers and strategic alliances. You can help promote the pro-life message among African Americans by going to www.AfricanAmericanOutreach.org, and within the Hispanic community at www.SacerdotesPorLaVida.org.
Tune in to “Defending Life”
From the privacy of your own home, you can learn from the experts about the best pro-life strategies and most compelling pro-life testimonies by tuning in to “Defending Life,” the world’s largest, longest-running TV series about abortion and the pro-life movement. Hosted by Fr. Frank Pavone, this series airs on EWTN, the world’s largest religious broadcasting network. It can be heard on radio and internet as well. You can also order DVDs of the programs. Visit www.priestsforlife.org/defendinglife for details.
Connect with us Online
We have an extensive online presence serving multiple needs of the pro-life community. Our main website is www.PriestsforLife.org, and there you will find the links to the various facets of our ministry. You’ll be able to
Connect with us on Facebook (www.priestsforlife.org/facebook),
You Tube (www.priestsforlife.org/youtube)
• Hear homilies Fr. Frank and the other priests have given (www.priestsforlife.org/audio) and watch our videos (www.priestsforlife.org/video).
• Sign up for our email alerts
• Send us your prayer requests (see our home page www.priestsforlife.org )
• Ask any question you have and get an answer! (www.AskFrFrank.com )
And much more…
Follow Fr. Frank Pavone on Twitter
Exercise Political Responsibility
The pro-life movement works across party lines and calls everyone to rediscover that the foundational principle of government the right to life, and the duty of government to protect life. Moreover, if we want our public policies to be based on that principle, then it’s necessary to participate in elections and in communicating with those who are elected. At www.PoliticalResponsibility.com, you can learn more about the many activities you, your family, your organization, and your church can take part in to make a difference in public policy. You can learn about how to register voters, find information about candidates, get people to the polls, and hold public officials’ feet to the fire so that they deliver on their promises.