Friday 15 January 2010

half hour masses


Recently I was chatting with my cousin Raymond, a true and good cahtolic. "People are not comming to church" he said. "Maybe the Church needs to have half hour masses." he said. i thought about that for a while.

I am told that Saint Finbars Parish has a half hour mass on sunday evenings, as well as a full hour later on. I might be in the minority, but I will go to mass if it is 30, 60, or 90 mins. It is difficult for me to motivate a bunch of young children to get ready and pacify them for an extended period. So usually after a bit of bullying, we get to church, even though we get there a little late. Still, the sunday obligation is met.

The most important thing a Catholic can do is to attend Mass. If 30 minute Masses, get more people to attend.. then I am all for it. If it is just to fit mass in an already overflowing personal agenda, then the individual is far too busy. it's like my doctor said: "If you are too busy to find tme to excercise for 40 mins, three times a week. Then you are too busy. Make time."

No comments:

Post a Comment