Thursday 25 March 2010

The "childless family" choice of Italians.


My wife and I have four children. They are a handful, but they are a joy. While we wish that we could be doing a whole lot more as a couple, we enjoy doing things as a family. Now I know that in this world of two-point-something children, four is a bit more than usual. Children are not for everyone. So those who don't have, don't fully understand. My grandfather George had 14 children. My wifes great Grandfather Vicente has 12 children. Not uncommon for the time. Vicente moved to Trinidad with his wife around 1900. An italian family with lots of love. My mother in law in her visit to Italy not long ago mentioned how much Italians love babies. Imagine my suprise to read in lifesite news that Italians are not having babies much anymore.

According to the article 53.4 per cent of Italian families have no children. They get married, but don't have children. There was a time when having children was the next step. 21.9 per cent of households have only one child and just 19 per cent have two. 1.31 children born per woman has resulted in a largely childless and aging nation. 1.31 is less than 2... 2 is a couple. Their population is shrinking. If not for immigration there would be less and less Italians.

This is not specific to Italy, all through Europe the trend is the same.

Praise God for Families. Praise God that the faithful are procreating. Praise God for his blessings.

1 comment:

  1. . My husband and I have been married for 15 years and are childless by choice, and we are VERY Italian. We are not kid ogres (As some may call us) we simply do not want any of our own. I am not Maternal in any way shape or form, and my husband has NO Patience. I also suffer from an incurable disease that leaves me with open wounds that never heal in all the wrong places making "procreating" very difficult.

    Oh we got the "When are YOU having a baby speech from our Inlaws" or "Your Brother already has two, when are YOU Going to catch up with him"...(Like it was a Game) or my personal favorite: GET BUSY.

    When it all boils down to it, it is up to each individual person. Not Others, and not the church. Do I feel guilty like others say that I should? Nope. I care about others. I donate to children's charities, I adopt children for Christmas, Grant Wishes on Wish upon a Hero, am a Chemo Angel, and support those going through chemo treatments, donate bags of toys to toys for tots, make a child smile, hugs, and hope, and give kids the world. This is what I love doing...volunteering my time and using my good nature to bring joy to others. I don't see what is wrong with that, despite not wanting any of my own. Should I be shunned from the church, from God, and everyone else out there? No. I think there are more people out there like "us", and It has made me feel a whole lot better about my decision.


    Read more: http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Catholic/2005/05/Childless-By-Choice-Catholics.aspx#ixzz1g2ttl33I

    ReplyDelete