Thursday 15 April 2010

Journey with God brother Dog

Today I got hate mail. The coward sent a letter to me without signing it. A game they think. A power trip perhaps. Attacking me and my faith. Unfortunately I could not respond to the character because in their ramble I was not quite sure they had a point. This issue was overshadowed by a rough work day and upset children. They were alot better today than yesterday though. Yesterday we lost Percy.

Who is Percy you might ask? Well I'm glad you did. Percy was a stray dog that wandered into our yard and decided to stay. He was named Percy by the children. Although they would not touch the dog with the huge scar on the side of his face, they applauded his persistence - hence the name Percy!

Percy just wanted love and would often come up for a scratch. He was friendly and most determined that he was one of our family. This irritated the incumbent, Precious, who would get fighting mad, but would not actually attack Percy.

Well, Percy was ill. He never quite made it. Yesterday morning when we left for work and school he was breathing in short breaths. He did not look good. We left him in good hands - My Mummy. She brought back many strays from deaths door, into beautiful, strong courageous and extremely protective characters. And to seal the deal we asked Saint Francis to help brother Percy get well. So we did not expect what we found yesterday evening. It looked like he just collapsed as he tried to walk over the root of the avocado tree. Poor Dog!

We love you Percy even if we knew you for such a short time.

Getting rid of the body was a traumatic thing for the children. Garbage bins don't allow for much closure, and while acceptable for Hamsters don't really cut it for dogs. Sorry ole boy.

I will end this post with a poem by the late funny Poet Ogden Nash: The Dog

The truth I do not stretch or shove
When I state that the dog is full of love.
I've also found, by actual test,
A wet dog is the lovingest.

1 comment:

  1. I just came across your blog researching animals in Trinidad. Although it's a little late I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. I myself have adopted several strays. It's amazing how they find a place in your heart so quickly.

    ReplyDelete